6 OMG! Apple Recipes
Nova Scotia offers more than 40 apple varieties and the fall harvest means they are in abundant supply. We love a classic apple pie as much as anyone else. But hey, that’s just the beginning. Trust us. You want to make these recipes too.
1. Salted Caramel Apple Poutine - Truth be told, we’d probably eat traditional poutine for dessert if given the chance - but this recipe from The Kilted Chef is way better! It’s an adult twist on the kid favorite caramel apple.
2. Fried Apple Rings - If you like onion rings, than you should try this! The folks at Scotian Gold posted this recipe and we can’t thank them enough. BTW, throw a few of these on top of a couple of scoops of ice cream and…life changer! These make for a great side dish for pork as well.
3. Apple Cranberry Chutney – This recipe is very versatile. We’ve included it in charcuterie boards, served it with chicken, turkey and pork and bottled it to give to friends. There are plenty of apples available right now, so why not make a big batch. Thanks to Chef Chris Velden from Flying Apron Cookery for coming up with this one.
4. No-Churn Maple Apple Ice Cream - This is the topping of your dreams if you dream about topping waffles, pancakes, pies, crisps or crumbles. Cinnamon, apple and maple are amazing together, and this is so easy to make. Thanks to Taste of Nova Scotia for turning us onto this one.
5. Apple and Blue Cheese Pizza - Apples can be a main dish too. Need proof? This pizza is crisp, tangy, savoury, sweet and crunchy. There’s so much going on and you know what? It works. It’s pizza and it’s perfect for laid back entertaining or an everyday dinner. Shout-out to Saltscapes for another great recipe.
6. Still Fired Moonshine Mule - Finally, mix yourself this refreshing drink courtesy of Still Fired Distilleries in Annapolis Royal and their Granny’s Apple Pie Moonshine. The best part? No baking! But you do have to mix ingredients together, so it’s a recipe and it’s on our list.
Still Fired Moonshine Mule Recipe:
- In a shaker add 5-6 ice cubes
- 4 oz of Granny's Apple Pie Moonshine
- Shake until Apple Pie is nicely chilled
- Add 2-3 ice cubes to a Mule Glass and fill half way with chilled Apple Pie
- Top up the rest of the glass with Propeller Ginger Beer
- Squeeze a lime wedge into glass and serve
- Garnish with a mint sprig and lime wedge